The Corpus Christi Police Reserve officer consists of a group of citizens of the community who, because of their interest in law enforcement, have volunteered their time and energy to the Police Department. Members of the Corpus Christi Police Reserve are licensed peace officers in the State of Texas. The Police Reserve exists for the purpose of providing additional police manpower in times of need:
- For regularly scheduled and special police activities
- In time of community emergency
- For special events such as Buccaneer Days or where extra police support is required
Police work is hazardous and requires a unique set of skills. To ensure their safety and proficiency, all Police Reserve Officers receive continuous training by the Police Department and abide by the rules, regulations, and policies set forth by the Police Department, the City of Corpus Christi, and the State of Texas (TCLEOSE).
As a reserve officer, you will be joining the Corpus Christi Police family of over 450 officers; men and women willing to put themselves on the line for the citizens they serve and for their fellow officers.
Steps to becoming a CC Police Reserve Officer
Applicant Processing Steps:
Review the eligibility requirements (below)
- Preliminary Interview – You will be asked about your driving history and any criminal record or illegal drug use. We will discuss with you any questions you may have regarding the application process, the time required for training, etc.
- Complete the Police Reserve Application »
- Physical Training Test – Complete and pass a physical agility test.
- Agility Test Nutrition Information »
- Applicant Interview Board – You will be given an oral interview before a board of police officers and supervisors, during which you will be interviewed on a variety of police and non-police topics.
- Polygraph Examination – Determines the validity of the answers given on the previous questionnaires and interviews.
- Background Investigation – Checks your work record, your background and the opinions and statements of people you list as references. You must also complete a personal history statement provided by the Police Department.
- Psychological Examination – Includes a written exam and an interview with a psychologist.
- Medical Examination – Includes a physical exam and urinalysis.
The background packet will require the following documents:
- A Valid United States Driver’s License
- Social Security Card
- Birth Certificate (original or certified copy)
- Official college transcripts (if applicable)
- High School transcripts (certified or official) or GED
- Marriage License (if applicable)
- Divorce Decree (if applicable)
- DD-214 (if applicable)
- Personal History Statement – form by CCPD
- You will go through training, which lasts approximately a year
- You will be expected to work a minimum of 16 hours per month
- All equipment, uniforms, and training is provided by CCPD
Applicants for the Corpus Christi Police Reserve must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- United States citizen (native born or naturalized).
- Must be a licensed Peace Officer of the State of Texas
- Have an honorable discharge, if a veteran.
- Must pass a physical fitness test administered by CCPD Training
- Be capable of passing a physical (including drug screening),
- polygraph, and psychological examinations.
- Have either high school diploma or a GED certification.
- Live in Corpus Christi area (maximum driving time 60 minutes).
- Have no felony convictions.
- Have a valid Texas driver’s license.
- Have a good driving record.
- May not be presently working as a security guard or employed by the City of Corpus Christi
- May not work in an establishment where the sale of alcoholic beverages is the primary source of revenue.
- May not work in any establishment frequented by persons known to be in violation of the law.
- Must have verifiable references.