The City has designated two procurement and contracting agencies for goods, services, and construction:
Purchasing for all equipment, materials, supplies and other services; and
Engineering for construction, land surveying, architectural and engineering services.
- Bidding procedures are determined by dollar value, by how critical the need is, and by market conditions.
- Normally, the dollar value dictates the method of purchase. Expenditures expected to exceed $50,000 require invitations/proposals to be advertised in the newspaper, as required by state law and City charter.
- No quotes are required for purchases of $1,000 or less. Pending available funds, the using departments may obtain supplies and services from the vendor that has the item available for immediate shipment, without having to obtain pricing from another vendor. However, departments are instructed to be price cognizant of the item they are purchasing to ensure the City is obtaining the best value for the purchase. Additionally, departments should be utilizing a rotational system that will allow all vendors the opportunities to supply the City's needs for these incidental purchases. Vendors are encouraged to contact the using departments to be placed on the rotation list for the items they would like to supply the City. An "Incidental Purchasing Contact List" is provided by the Purchasing Division to prospective vendors for reference. This is a list of departmental personnel that issue purchase orders for the department or are involved in the procurement process of the department.
- For purchases greater than $1000 but less than or equal to $2,000, two verbal quotes are required. Although no written quotes are required, departments are required to document by note to the file the vendors contacted and to obtain a written offer from the selected vendor to ensure all terms and conditions of the sale are documented.
- For purchases greater than $2000 but less than or equal to $3000, three written quotes are required. The information required on a valid open market quote include the following: the quote must be addressed to the City, the quote must be on the vendor's letterhead, the quote must have a date, the quote must have lead time (the amount of time to deliver the goods), the quote must have FOB (ownership of merchandise in transit and freight terms), the quote must have a description of the product, the quote must have a price, the quote must have a signature. Alternatively, the Fax Request for Quote Form may be used in lieu of the open market quote when requesting pricing from vendors.
- For purchases greater than $3000 but less than or equal to $50,000, three written quotes are required and a Purchasing Division Buyer must give final approval of the purchase. State law requires the City to notify Nueces County HUB vendors for purchases greater than $3,000. A Purchasing Division Buyer or department staff must check the HUB list for any HUB vendors who sell the product or provide the service the department needs. The list of HUB vendors selling that product or providing the service is included on the bidders list. After initial notification, no further special consideration is given to the HUB vendor. Their offer is evaluated on the same basis as all other offers. All Bid Information must be listed in the comment section of the Enterprise Resource Planning System (ERPS) Purchase Order. See Procedure P-8.0 for Purchase Order Authority.
- Items of a critical nature or unusual market conditions may warrant special procedures in order to expedite purchase orders. The Purchasing Division has discretion and authority in providing for waiver of bidding procedure for purchases less than or equal to $50,000. The City Manager has discretion and authority for providing for waiver of bidding procedures for purchases greater than $50,000 (Emergency Purchases). See Emergency Procedure P-3.
BIDS CURRENTLY OPEN
If you are already registered with Supplier Portal, you may log into the
City of Corpus Christi Supplier Portal.
Please visit our Supplier Portal Information page.
Please click on this Forecasted Procurements link to view a list of bids and proposals that will be released during this calendar year.